2 Corinthians 5:14 “For the love of Christ compels us.”
Some of my friends on Summer Beach Project are learning about the meaning of this verse this summer. But lately it has taken on a new meaning for me. As a team we are reading a book by Jerry Bridges called Transforming Grace, and we are studying the book of 1 Thessalonians. One of the chapters in TG is about being compelled by God’s love. I have also just applied this verse to giving my life away to others. Knowing that since God has so deeply loved me; I should go and love others. But this past week I have been learning how Christ’s love is what should compel me to love God. I think so many times as Christians we get is wrong. We turn our walk with the Lord into a list of dos and don’ts and some how convince ourselves that if you do enough right God will love us more but if you do too much wrong God will love us less. This is all wrong. I am not supposed to read my bible in the morning or pray or go to church so that I can receive some extra blessing for the day or week. But Christ’s love for me should be compelling me to love him back out of desire and gratitude. It is not a fear of consequence or expectation of reward that should keep us pursing the heart of God, but a pure and utter love for Him. I am thankful the Lord has been gracious enough to remind me of this truth.
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment